11 September 2011

Of Brownies

Look how moist that brownie is, yet it has that nice crispy top.
I've been thing of brownies for a while now. I've put off baking them mostly because I ran out of eggs. Sad, but true. When I finally got eggs, I started looking for the perfect brownie recipe. One that was not too gooey and not too dry. Then I came across this recipe from the joyofbaking.com. It's called Katherin Hepburn's Brownies, because according to the author, Katherin Hepburn gave this recipe to a gossip columnist who published it in her column. Not sure if this is true or not, but I am extremely glad someone decided to publish this recipe. It's easy and everything is done in one bowl. 

2 ounces (60 grams) unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup (30 grams) all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (100 grams) chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)


Preheat the oven to 165C or 325F. Melt the chocolate and the butter in a large bowl over simmering water. Once melted, remove from heat and stir in sugar. Add vanilla and eggs. Stir, then add flour and salt. Add nuts too if you're using them.
Pour into a greased pan and bake for 30-35minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool and enjoy the beautiful scent this brownie has. Don't forget to cut into squares and serve.





The one change I made was the chocolate. Instead of using 60g of chopped unsweetened chocolate, I used half a cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips. I'm not sure if that's equivalent to 60g of chocolate, but the brownies still turned out great. I also reduced the sugar to 1/2 cup. I couldn't bring myself to use a whole cup of sugar. I also did not use any nuts for now. 



See the crumbs!! Fishy loves!

No comments:

Post a Comment