19 September 2011

Of Strawberry Muffins

My strawberry muffins started because I was hungry and couldn't find anything to snack on. The recipe I used was from allrecipes.com. It was ok, but I wish I had read the reviews first before baking them. That's one thing I love about this website. The reviews are really really helpful.

Like many muffins, I started with
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup chopped strawberries

I combined the wet ingredients (oil, milk, egg) first in a small bowl and whisked them lightly. In a larger bowl, I combined the salt, baking powder, sugar and flour. I added the strawberries to the flour mixture until they were coated, then poured the liquids into dry mixture. I mixed them until everything was just moist. I divided the mixture into 8 muffin cups and baked in a 190C or 375F oven.

Now for the changes I did and will do to the recipe:
1. I added a few drops of vanilla extract to the liquid mixture, just to give it that wonderful smell. I also decreased the amount of sugar used to 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon.
2. Next time, I think I will macerate the strawberries in a little sugar first before using them.
3. I will also reduce the amount of flour to 1 1/2cup instead of 1 3/4cup.
4. I think I'll serve them with a bit of cream next time too.



I hope that next time, my muffins will taste better than they already do now. 



No comments:

Post a Comment