09 November 2011

Of Cupcakes that are Better than Sex


Have you ever had cupcakes so good that you forget your name? Or even the definition of sex? As I packed for my trip home, my sister requested that I bring some baked goods with. Specifically, she wanted chocolate cake, which I knew would be hell to bring on the plane. To overcome this dilemma, I decided to bring cupcakes instead since they were small and easier to pack. I quickly googled a recipe for great chocolate cupcakes. That's when I chanced upon 52 Kitchen Adventures' recipe for "Better that Sex" Chocolate Cupcakes. I was intrigued immediately. I also immediately felt giddy about serving my mom and sister cupcakes that shouted they were better than sex.



To frost or not to frost. Sigh. That was my second dilemma. I really wanted to add the dark chocolate ganache frosting, but I was also afraid that that would cause a bigger mess. It took me a good 5 hours to settle on not frosting. After all, my mom does not really like frosting and my sister eats too much of it for her own good. I will definitely frost next time, though, since it does look so delightfully pretty with the frosting.  

I love how the cupcakes turned out! While baking they formed a little dome with collapsed as they cooled, and yet, I'm quite certain that that's what added to the delicious gooey center. The cupcakes were perfectly moist and not too sweet. My mom said they weren't better than sex as is (she's definitely biased, though), but I'm pretty sure they will be with that ganache frosting. Just imagine it. Soft, gooey, chocolaty and with a perfect frosting. It just makes my mouth water. Try it!


Here's the recipe for it:
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1 1/4 cup sugar (ok, I was compelled to decrease this to 1 cup, but it was still quite sweet)
2 large eggs, at room temperature
3/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup salt 
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

The first step would be beating the butter until it is smooth and softened. Beat in the sugar to make it fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time. In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (i.e. flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder). In another container, preferably with a spout, combine the milk and vanilla extract. Once both wet and dry mixtures are prepared, add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the butter, sugar and eggs mixture. Once combined, pour in 1/2 of the wet ingredients. Alternate with 1/3 of the dry ingredients again, then the remaining wet ingredients and finally the remaining dry ingredients. Remember to combine each addition well before adding the next addition. Once everything is combined, fill 15 prepared cupcake cups.  Bake in a 350F or 177C oven for 20-25 minutes. You'll know the cupcakes are done when an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

If you want to make the ganache topping, simply bring some heavy cream (1/3 cup) to a boil. Once boiling, pour it over some very good chopped chocolate (about 100g) and stir until chocolate is melted and the entire mixture is smooth and shiny. Allow it to cool first before spreading on top of the cupcakes. 

Be sure to use good quality chocolate, preferably semi-sweet, bittersweet or dark chocolate, or you'll really regret it. This is the general recipe for most ganaches (although quantities change). You can also add some liquor to give me more kick. Sigh. Now I really really which I had made ganache for these cupcakes.

It is very important that you don't overfill the cupcake cups. Only fill each until they are half full or at most 2/3 full, nothing more. I once made this mistake with another cupcake recipe, and what a mess that made in my oven! AND, my cupcakes looked like monsters from outer space. So, DO NOT OVERFILL!



No comments:

Post a Comment