03 November 2011

Of Oatmeal Power Breakfasts


Breakfast, the most important meal of the day...or so they say. Breakfast should be filling, energizing and oh so delicious. Breakfast is also never complete without oatmeal, at least that's what my mom says. I totally disagree with her on this count, but I have to admit that I do love oatmeal breakfasts. Besides it's neutral taste (at least for me) that I can spruce up any way I want, oatmeal is also loaded with fibers and complex carbohydrates. This means that you stay full longer, which would be a plus if you're trying to lose weight. Oatmeal also has beta-glucans (a type of polysaccharide) which is may lower cholesterol. (I tried reading about it, but I'm still trying to understand the mechanism, so I'll be conservative and use the word "may" instead of the word "can". If anyone has a more detailed study about this, please let me know.)


Today's breakfast was inspired by this post from thekitchn.com. It was a breakfast of Baked Pumpkin Steel Cut Oatmeal. Now, I don't really keep pumpkin puree in the house. In fact, my family doesn't really eat pumpkin. We love squash though, but mostly the kind found in South East Asia. Anyway, the recipe made me think of other ways to spice up my usual oatmeal. When I was a kid, I would usually sprinkle it with sugar and Milo (the chocolate and malt drink made by Nestle), but since I'm older now, I wanted something more adult. That's how I came up with this recipe:

Banana Oatmeal Power Breakfast
1 cup Rolled oats
3 cups water (or milk)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoon brown or muscovado sugar
1 very ripe banana
Raisins or any dried fruit

Cook the rolled oats in water. Once cooked, added the cinnamon, the nutmeg and the banana. Mix until combined then take the mixture off the heat. Pour into bowls and top with the raisins.


The recipe above usually works for two to three people, and the other great thing about it is that you can actually use leftover oatmeal. That's actually what I did. Instead of having to cook the rolled oats, I simply poured the leftover oatmeal into a saucepan and added 1/2 cup milk and proceeded with the recipe as indicated. So, the next time you have leftover oatmeal, be sure to refrigerate it. You'll never know when you're going to spice it up.



Oh, if you ever wondered about the difference between rolled oats and instant oats and steel cut oats, here's another page on thekitchn.com that's very helpful:


No comments:

Post a Comment