08 December 2011

Of Malunggay


Seen this green leafy vegetable lately? If you're in the tropics, chances are that you have, and depending on your family chances are that this plant is either a vegetable or a random shrub. It's definitely a vegetable for my family. My mom adds to practically anything. I love it in tinola or fish soup. My mom loves it in omelets, and I concede that they're great. 

So what is it? In Filipino it's known as Malunggay or scientifically, Moringa oleifera. What I love about it is that it practically has no taste. Ok, there's a little leafy taste, but not as much as other green leafy vegetables. I'd definitely rather eat this in soups than cabbages. I've heard that malunggay has several medicinal benefits, but as far as my mini research is concerned, most of these benefits need more study. Yes, it's very nutritious, but I wouldn't expect it to cure cancer. At any rate you can do more research on Google scholar and Pubmed. Make sure the articles you read are from a reputable journal.

My mom has two malunggay plants in our garden. It's quite easy to grow actually. All you need to to is to make a limb cutting and plant it during the rainy season. After that it's a matter of regular watering and sometimes giving a little fertilizer (although in my experience it rarely needs it). 

To prepare the malunggay leaves, simply give the branch a rinse (preferably in a water plus vinegar solution). Then in a pinching position run your thumb and index finger down the smaller branches that hold the leaves. Be sure to do this in the direction opposite to the way the leaves grow. The leaves will fall from the branches quite easily. Your malunggay leaves are now ready to enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment