06 January 2012

Of the Triple Chocolate Cake



 I'll admit it. After making the basic chocolate cake awhile back, my family's been craving for another round of chocolate cake, and what better time to have chocolate cake than Christmas? For this cake, I used the same recipe I used for the basic chocolate cake, but with the addition of chocolate ganache and chocolate frosting.

I sandwiched chocolate ganache between two layers of dark chocolate cake. Then, spread some of the chocolate frosting and drizzled even more ganache on top. Let me tell you, there was no leftover. The kids who were at the party just gobbled it up. The cake was moist and practically oozed chocolate. It was definitely the star of the dessert table.
Ready for the party!

Chocolate Ganache
9 oz Bittersweet Chocolate, chopped
1 cup Heavy cream

In a double boiler (or a makeshift one), bring the cream to a boil. Add the chocolate. Whisk until the chocolate has melted and the resulting ganache is smooth and shiny. (You can add a tablespoon of rum too if you want, but I decided not to)

Chocolate Frosting
(I used a variation of the vanilla frosting I used in my previous cake)
4 tablespoons butter
2 cups icing or confectioner's sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pinch f salt
4 tablespoons chocolate ganache

Beat everything together until light and fluffy.
The last slice is for the cook!

No comments:

Post a Comment