25 October 2011

Of Nutella Hot Chocolates and Toastie Sandwiches




I had a craving for hot chocolate today. My usual hot chocolate recipe was to take a packet of Swiss Miss and pour it into a mug of hot milk. My dad on the other hand makes it the Filipino way, which is to dissolve a tablea (chocolate tablets made from roasted cacao beans and sugar) or two in milk. His version is really too rich for me, but it is still so good.  That led me to my search for the perfect homemade hot chocolate. Last night, I found a totally different recipe for hot chocolate. I got the idea from Big City, Little Kitchen.



This recipe is called Nutella Hot Chocolate, and you can see what attracted me to it: Nutella. I adore Nutella. This hazelnut chocolate spread was first made in Italy by Piertro Ferrero during WWII when cocoa was in short supply. It is almost the perfect dessert condiment. I especially love it on crackers and just a plain slice of bread. And I thought what's better than Nutella on hot chocolate.

To make this hot chocolate you will need:
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons Nutella
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder (the original recipe asks for cinnamon sticks, which may be better)
marshmallows (optional)
espresso powder (optional)

In a saucepan, combine the milk, Nutella, cocoa powder and cinnamon powder. (Add the espresso powder too if using) Place over medium heat, and whisk until the mixture simmers. Pour into your favorite mug and garnish with as much marshmallows as you like. I preferred it without marshmallows though. Enjoy!




The best sandwich to go with this hot chocolate is what I call a toastie sandwich. I actually made up that name a few days ago. I've actually had this type of sandwich a million times before, but I never knew what to call it. It wasn't until a few days ago that I decided to look up the actual name on Wikipedia. According to Wiki, it's called a toaster sandwich or a toastie in Britain or a jaffie in Australia or even a Breville. I love how I can just place a spread between two slices of bread and put it in a sandwich toaster. My two absolute favorite fillings are gouda cheese in one and blueberry jam in another.  If you don't have a sandwich toaster, you can use a panini maker or even just a toaster oven. Try it!
Toastie Sandwiches and Nutella Hot Chocolate





No comments:

Post a Comment