11 October 2011

Of Earl Grey Scones

Look at how gorgeous that brown scone is!
Lately, my interest in scones was piqued again. Now I know I've already blogged about scones (here), but humor me here. These two recipes will blow your mind. I've always made scones with either one of two recipes: the one I found on allrecipes and the one I found on joyofbaking. To make them more interesting, I would just change up the add-ons (for example using chocolate chips of caramel chips instead of currant etc.) Then I found some lavender in the herb section of a gourmet grocery store. All I knew about Lavender was that it was used in aromatherapy. Naturally I was curious about how to use lavender in food. That's when I read about Lavender scones, and that led me to looking for a scone recipe that played with our sense of smell.

I love how the egg wash just gives it that beautiful sheen
So, here's the first of two recipes:

Earl Grey Scones
2 tea bags of Earl Grey tea (Or 3-4 teaspoons of Earl Grey tea if you're using loose leaf tea)
1/2 cup milk
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup currants
2 eggs
3 tablespoon milk

The first thing you should do is is heat the milk to almost boiling and allow the tea to steep in the milk. Allow it milk-tea mixture to cool before using. Before using the currants, soak them for a few minutes and completely drain them before use
Then in a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the butter and using your fingers or a pastry blender, blend until the mixture reminds you of coarse crumbs. Stir in the currants. Set aside.
Strain the tea and milk mixture (or remove the teabags) into another bowl and add one egg. Whisk together until combined and pour it into the dry ingredients. Using a fork, stir until all the flour is just wet. Be sure not to over mix.
Place the dough on a lightly floured surface a knead lightly (no more than 5 times), then shape into a ball. Pat the top until it is slightly flat, then cut into 8 triangles. Make an egg wash with the last egg and the 3 tablespoons of milk. Brush each triangle and bake for 15-18 minutes or until brown and a tooth pick comes out clean in a 190C or 375F oven.






No comments:

Post a Comment