10 October 2011

Of Pain Perdu

Pain perdu is the fancy French way of saying French toast or as some people call it, Eggy Bread. (I think I heard Nigella Lawson call it that. I'm not sure though.) I woke up this morning with a huge craving for French toast, and luckily we had just the bread for it. The term pain perdu comes from two French words: pain, meaning bread, and perdu, meaning lost. Therefore the recipe called for stale (but not moldy) bread, and since we still had some baguettes which had been eaten yet, I immediately pulled out the other ingredients.

There is just one problem with my recipe: I did not measure anything. I basically eyeballed all the ingredients and prayed that the bread would turn out nicely. Any, if you are still interested, here's my recipe:

I realized that a little fruit and icing sugar just hides any imperfections on my French toast. It also made it look really sophisticated. 
1 egg
milk (more milk in volume than eggs)
a pinch of cinnamon
a few teaspoons of caster sugar (all depends on how sweet you want it)
stale bread
some butter for the pan

If you have sliced bread, you won't have any problem, but if you had bread that looked like it was supposed to be used for a submarine sandwich  (like I did), I suggest you slice it into halves lengthwise. Then in a bowl, mix together the egg, milk, cinnamon and sugar. Allow the bread to soak up this mixture on both sides. Heat a pan and melt some butter on it. Cook the bread in the pan until it is golden brown. Serve with either maple syrup (yum!) or honey or just a dusting of icing sugar.

Note: If you like vanilla, you can all add a few drops of vanilla extract to the egg and milk mixture. Sooo yummy!






No comments:

Post a Comment